Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Loaning library books, the Kindle and the real thing

 Any Kindle lovers out there? Well, I am sure there are plenty. Personally, someone could give me a Kindle and I still wouldn't use it. Why? Let me count the reasons. Probably, the largest reason is I am a book lover. Now, I say this carefully. BOOK LOVER. To me, not just the printed text makes a book but the actual cover, weight, design, smell. All of this is really the essence of a book. I also love that if I personally own the book, all I have to do to locate it is to look on my book shelf.


I have read chapters of books on the computer. When various authors release a sneak peek at their books, I have read them online. This is really the only time I ever hope to do this. Reading one or two chapters is enough. Give me the actual hard copy book any day. Then I can take the book and go anywhere, read outside on the swing, on an airplane, in a lawn chair in front of the ocean. I know many have valid arguments about the high points about the Kindle but as far as I am concerned they are not for me.

The second topic I want to discuss is loaning books at the library. Many people steer clear of the library and instead buy each book they read. Ever since I have been a small girl, my parents have taken me to the library. And now, I can't imagine buying every book I want to read. I can't imagine how much money I would spend on books!!! Lucky for me, my library has a librarian who is whole-heartily open to suggestions. I have in the past given her suggestions of books to consider. Also, loaning books through my library system, one can borrow books from not only my branch but all of the public libraries in my county. This is probably the same for most counties.

1 comment:

  1. I love my Kindle, but I have to admit that I miss the feel and scent of a real book. The Kindle is really amazing, though, because I can read it anywhere (the screen doesn't shine) and I read so much faster than a traditional book. Plus, it has great features like a built-in dictionary and search function. It takes some getting used to, but I have to say that I'm thrilled with my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete